Euro Hinge Positioning and Door Edges
Euro hinges have to be mounted very close to door edges. But here's a workaround that adds some flexibiity for face frame construction. May 13, 2013
Are there any Euro hinges for face frame cabinets that have the hole further from the edge? Mine are only 1/8" from the door edge and I can't route a nice profile on the door edge without cutting into the pocket hole of the hinge for 1/2" overlay doors.
From contributor D:
All compact style (one piece) Euro hinges on the market today have a maximum edge bore distance of 3mm (1/8"). A popular method is to use a 1/2" overlay "long arm" Euro hinge and a face frame mounting plate.
This offers several advantages:
1. You can bore the cup hole, in most cases up to 5/16" from the edge of the door. With certain hinges, this can also be increased to 3/8".
2. The unsightly gap between the door and the face frame can be reduced to 1/16".
3. The option of using 110 degree, 120 degree or even 165 degree is possible with a standard Euro hinge.
4. This method allows the door to be easily removed (clip hinges) at installation time.
5. The overall look gets away from the "Big Box" store cabinet look - giving the job a more custom appearance.
6. Tighter gaps between doors are possible.
Here is an illustration:
Click here for higher quality, full size image
Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?
Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base
KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: Cabinet Door Construction
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in
any manner without permission of the Editor.
Review Woodweb.com's Copyright Policy.
The editors, writers, and staff at Woodweb.com try to promote safe practices.
What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe
for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use
of materials and methods discussed at Woodweb.com after considerate evaluation,
and at their own risk.
865 Troxel Road
Lansdale, PA 19446
Copyright © 1996-2021 - Woodweb.com